With moving and settling the cats in, I’m later on this post than I wanted to be. But nonetheless here it is (finally!).
Last week on Friday (my last day of vacation) I finished editing based off of what my beta readers suggested and asked questions about. I can’t remember if I’ve already said this on the blog, but again I can’t stress enough that this book has changed so much since I first started.
After the beta edits, the book is complete at 100k total words. One scene specifically changed a lot in this book, and once I started with it I just ran with it until the end. I found myself really getting into the heads of my characters, standing in their shoes, and feeling more confident about them. This wasn’t like the Magicians series where I after book one the majority of characters were already set up for me. So with this new book it took a while, but I think this time I finally fixed the major issues (hopefully).
I’m not going to lie: editing is always hard. Finishing on Friday and actually sticking to that plan was really hard. But the thought of sending this to my editor and actually being really close to publication was the only thing that kept me motivated to keep going. That and a lot of coffee. I’ve never taken off a week for my any of my books (at least not that I can remember). And honestly after what I accomplished last week, I’m definitely going to do it next time when I have a lot of work that needs to get done. It allowed me to make up a schedule for myself: wake up semi-early, try to edit until 4pm, take a break and then start again sometime after 10pm. That was my schedule, and it worked. It wasn’t perfect, and sometimes I needed more breaks than I want to admit, but at the end of the week everything I wanted to accomplish was done.
Now let’s talk about the exciting parts awaiting us.
Yesterday I sent the manuscript to my editor. It’s in 6×9 format (with Createspace’s template), and I told my editor I’m hoping to release this book before I move to TX (or at least before the end of this year). If I’m able to release it this year that means I will have released a book every year in a row since 2012. It’s a consistency that I’ve tried to keep up with over the past few years, and at first I thought releasing in 2016 would be impossible. But this book has definitely had a large amount of editing and rewriting done. I’m hoping at this point anything else is minor fixes here and there and won’t delay anything too much.
Perhaps more exciting: let’s talk cover reveals.
It’s been a while since I’ve released a cover (a little over a year I think?). I want to wait until I have a release date (or at least month) before revealing the amazing cover for Clara and Claire. I’ve talked about this cover a lot, and it’s perhaps the hardest one I’ve had to stay quiet about so far. I’m definitely going to talk it over with other authors and get their input, but I’ll keep you updated. Just keep in mind there might be a cover reveal sign up coming around soon (so be sure to sign up if you’re interested!).
I’ll also be adding Clara and Claire to Goodreads soon –no word on just when, but I want it out there, so for those of you who have been patiently waiting can add it to your reading list.
And last but not least, I wanted to leave you with the official summary for Clara and Claire. Numerous people have been asking me for more details on what the book is about, so here it is:
Again thanks so much for your patience this week (it’s been crazy!). Let’s hope the rest of this week goes more smoothly!